Monday, February 2, 2009

Almost a week in Cape Town

And what a week it's been! After some orientation in a hotel, I moved into a homestay near the University of Cape Town campus. UCT and the home I'm staying in are both in an area called Rondebosch (or something to that affect) and I've just been getting used to it. The woman I'm staying with is named Rose and she hosts events out of her house. The first night I was there there was a wedding. It was really ornate, but a little bit wierd in it's own way. Everyone there seemed to love it though, so a success! Rose also hosts other students, mostly kids in an English program. There's a Brazilian girl and French boy. It's definitely interesting!
Yesterday we went on a tour of the Cape Peninsula. We loaded into huge tour busses, and went all around the peninsula. We saw african penguins at a place called Boulder Beach, and then had lunch in a township called Oceanview. It was cool because the local kids did some breakdancing for us, as well as singing, and one kid did firedancing! Pretty neat. After that we went to the Cape of Good Hope, the south-western most point in Africa. It was completely beautiful, ocean all around. I think that I even saw two ostriches out the bus window!
My login's about to end, so I've got to go, but pictures soon, and I love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Three things:
    1. Why was the wedding weird?

    2. Hold your wallet while watching dancing kids.

    3. A joke, which reminded me of you, that I read on the NY Times today:
    Q: What is the capital of Iceland?
    A: $25

    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete